When you include Harvard Medical School in your estate plan, you create a legacy to help secure a healthier tomorrow.
Your planned gift directly helps to improve health and well-being for all.
Which gift option is best for you?
Gifts of Special Assets
How It Works
Owning real estate that has appreciated in value since it was purchased or inherited can be wonderful. However, that real estate can become a significant tax burden that you no longer want to manage. If so, consider helping yourself while helping HMS by making a gift of real estate. You might also consider using your property to help generate income for the future. Here are some flexible arrangements to meet your needs:
- Give your entire property by transferring the property deed to HMS. Harvard will sell the property, and the proceeds will support the area of your choosing. One hundred percent of its appraised market value is deductible for income tax purposes.
- Give a percentage of your property by deeding a percentage interest in your property. When it sells, you and HMS share proportionately in the proceeds. The income tax deduction from your gift can offset the capital gain generated by the sale.
- Receive income for life by funding a charitable trust or gift annuity with your property. You and another beneficiary will receive annual income for life. Trust assets can be invested in the Harvard endowment and provide variable income for life, while gift annuities provide fixed income for life. Both gifts qualify for an immediate income tax deduction, plus you can save on estate taxes and minimize or avoid capital gains tax.
- Leave your property through your will or trust and reduce or eliminate estate taxes while fulfilling your financial, tax, and estate planning goals.
- Personal residence
- Vacation home
- Farm or agricultural land
- Commercial property or lot
- Undeveloped or unimproved land
- Obtain assistance from Harvard in selling your property
- Secure a charitable income tax deduction and potentially save on gift and estate taxes
- Receive quarterly income for life from a trust or annuity
- Unlock appreciated assets without incurring capital gains tax
- Avoid separate investment management fees for certain gifts and access broad investment diversification through Harvard Management Company
- Improve health and well-being for all
- Create enduring impact at HMS
Securities (Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Funds)
How It Works
Contact the the Alumni and Development Services-Trust Administration at 866-845-6596 or email@example.com.
Notify Harvard University to ensure the proper processing of your gift by completing this online form »
Learn more about gifts of stock »
- Mutual Funds
Coordinate with the Alumni and Development Services-Trust Administration. For the team to determine the appropriate instructions, please call 866-845-6596 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Name of the mutual fund
Number of shares
Date of acquisition
Where the shares are currently held
- Qualify for a deduction for the mean market value of a security you have owned at least one year
- Utilize the deduction for up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income
- Carry forward any unused deduction for up to five additional years
- Reduce potential capital gains tax